Monday, December 5, 2011

Book Review: "No Place Like Holmes"

“No Place Like Holmes” by Jason Lethcoe

As part of my relationship with Booksneeze.com, they provided me a free electronic copy of the book to read and review.

This children’s fictional story is an easy reader detective story with “Sherlock Holmes” overtones. It follows the story of a young pastor’s son as he travels to his grouchy detective uncle’s town for the summer. As a case unearths for his uncle, the boys gets to follow him as he uncovers the truth about the missing townsmen.

Although this was an interesting plot and an easy read for young readers, I found the content to be slow and unappealing. It seemed to take more than a dozen chapters to get to the content of the case of the books’ heart. This would normally not bother me if the characters were properly developed, but the initial chapters provided only a background to the story without fully engaging my attention or making me care about the characters. Although there were elements of story that pertained to God, I do not feel that it added anything to the plot. God was almost an afterthought to story, which just bothered me. To summarize, the story was mediocre and I would not read it again. I would only recommend it to a lower-grade school child.

No comments:

Post a Comment